среда, 29 февраля 2012 г.

"I opened my heart to the Ukrainian life..." by Yining from China


Two months before, I was standing in Kiev airport overwhelmed with all the Russian and Ukrainian sounds. I felt so excited to start a new life in Ukraine as well as scared of not getting used to it. Two months after, I was again standing in Kiev airport waiting for my flight. I cried and didn’t want to leave.
Those two months in Ukraine has not only changed my view towards Ukraine but also my life.
         My AIESEC experience in Ukraine started from an email from Olga, “Come to Ukraine! You are perfect for our project.” She said. Her warm welcome and the curiosity towards Ukraine have led me to make the decision of coming. I have never regretted this decision.
       After a long long journey from Kiev to Berdyansk, I was instantly welcomed by the member of LC Berdyansk. The first trying of vodka, the first Ukrainian “puking” party has made me friends with those members as well as other interns. Even though some of them don’t speak very good English, but the friendly smile on their face made me feel like we are a family very soon. I stayed in a Ukrainian girl Olga’s(another Olga) home and it took us almost no time to behave like sisters.

    Our World Without Border project started right away when we got other three interns arriving: Gustavo and Petrius from Brazil and Rey from Indonesia. Together we did 5 weeks of presentations to different schools in Berdyansk about our countries and culture. I was surprised to see the students are so curious towards China no matter how good their English are. Some of students can even come up with very controversial questions which are difficult to answer and required some thinking. We were also welcomed by the school principles and teachers who took us to all the classes even presented us with little gifts. Apart from that, we also organized English Club to improve students’ English after class. Even though there weren’t many students attending it, I still enjoyed talking with them and listened to their point of views.
     In December we took part in a big event called “Global Village” in a shopping mall to show our national cuisines and culture in front of media and public. I decorated my counter with Chinese flags, New Year decoration, Peking Opera Make-ups toy as well as our alcohol Er Guo Tou. It was truly fun to interact with the public and answering all their questions about China. I was even asked to sing a Chinese song in front of all the people in the shopping mall and I found out my singing skill is not that bad (at least they say so).
     Following up was the nearly one month traveling with Petrius all over Ukraine. We visited Sevastopol, Yalta, Bakchisaray, Odessa, Lviv and Kiev together and was welcomed by warm-hearted Ukrainian Couchsurfers and AIESECers all the way around. Ukraine is not a very rich country, but the friendliness of people is truly amazing and unforgetful.
     The project is far from perfect due to the lack of planning and team working sprit but it is those AIESEC members Olga, Sasha and Yarek made the project moved smoothly. Every time when I saw them sacrificed their own free time to be with us I really feel like we are a big family in little Berdyansk.
     I opened my heart to the Ukrainian life and I have learned everything. From how to eat pig fat(salo) to how to drink vodka to how to celebrate New Year in a Ukrainian way. I was trying to live a Ukrainian life while in Ukraine and I did it. After two months I even found myself getting used to Kvass which I thought was smelly. When you found me on Zluka having Ukrainian flag on my face do not be surprised, I was Ukrainian at least at that moment and felt proud of it. Slava Ukraine!
    I also learnt a lot from other interns. I learnt all Muslims must pray 5 times a day and Brazilians add salt when they are cooking rice. I learnt it is a small world and we can get along with each other and share some joyful moments very easily.
   Thank you Olga for bringing me to Ukraine. I love it and I will definately come back! Maybe next time it will be in summer.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий