понедельник, 13 февраля 2012 г.

My AIESEC Experience in Berdyansk, by Carlo Roman

Before signing up for an internship in Ukraine, I had no idea at all of the country, except from certain stereotypes that I got from certain films that I had seen. From these stereotypes, I had the idea that the Ukrainians were generally tough and firm people; kind of like the mafias that I had seen in movies. I still finally decided to sign up to work in Ukraine because I knew that stereotypes would remain as stereotypes only until one challenges it, until one experiences the country for himself in order to verify or to falsify the stereotype.
When I finally arrived at the Berdyansk bus station, I was surprised to be greeted with hugs, flowers, and a bottle of beer. From that moment I knew that these people were far warmer and hospitable than I had expected. I have only spent thirty minutes in Berdyansk when I finally learned that everything I know about Ukraine from movies only existed in the movies; everything except for the stereotype that the Ukrainian women are beautiful. Yes, I must say their women are exceptionally beautiful both in attitude and in physical appearance. I will not further talk about their women because that deserves a separate article.
My experience working with AIESEC did not feel like work. The local committee of Berdyansk has their
way of doing things that makes work seem like play. All these they were able to do because of the proper balance between being strict while working, and being loose and at ease during the rest of the day. There are times when everybody would work like ants. During these times, everyone becomes focused, wearing their poker faces, reserving their laughter for
a short while just to finish the work at hand. But right after the work for the day had been finished, we find ourselves in a local bar like PizzaMix having a few bottles of beer and I would often find myself screaming, “za drujbu” whenever I got too drunk. Because of this work habit, they are able to excel at their work, while having fun at the same time. Throughout the course of my internship, I have learned AIESEC Berdyansk’s secret for their success: they are successful in their projects because they have fun while doing it. It is as simple as that. After all, who would want to stop working if your work involved having fun with a group of people that you consider your family?
Throughout the course of my 2-month long internship in Ukraine, I was able to see the beautiful scenery of Ukraine, and more importantly I was able to meet a bunch of people who permanently made their marks in my life. Each passing day makes me miss the city of Berdyansk more, and I really am looking forward to the day when I come to visit again. I have made a home out of this city, and I have made a family out of its people, and all I could wish for is to be back home with the Berdyansk family again.
Paka paka!

January, 2011

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий